Chicago Tourist Visa / B-1 Visa Lawyers

Whenever a non-citizen wishes to enter the United States, there are certain documents that must be filed. These change depending upon the nature of the visit and have differing conditions and requirements that must be fulfilled. One of these documents is known as a visa, and there are different categories of visas. The one you apply for depends upon the reason for your trip to the United States. Two of the most common forms of visas are the B1 and B2, or business travel visa and tourist visa, respectively. It’s important that you apply for the right visa in order to ensure that you will be able to enter the country as planned.

The process is not easy. In fact, it is very tedious and arbitrary. Remember that the United States has the right to turn away visitors without the correct documentation at their discretion, so it’s best to take your time and complete the process properly. The burden lies on the applicant. If denied a visa, you may be eligible for a pardon if you qualify. 

What Is The Application Process?

When applying for a B1 (business) or B2 (tourist) visa, remember that the burden is on you to show that you qualify to receive one. A tourist visa is good for ten years. This might be a bit confusing, so it’s important to keep in mind that the blanket presumption applying to visitors to the United States is that they are doing so with the intention to immigrate to the country. With this in mind, it is up to you to prove that this is not your intention.

Click on this link to begin the process and complete the Online Visa Application (DS-160)

In order to prove that you are not attempting to stay in the United States as an immigrant and that your visit really is just a visit, you must be able to demonstrate certain things. The following three are some of the main issues you will need to address in order to prove that you are qualified to receive a B1 or B2 visa. You must demonstrate that:

The trip has a specific purpose, and that purpose is one of the following:

The trip has a definite and clearly defined length – one that is temporary and short.

The traveler has an established residence that is located outside of the United States.

Should you feel confident you will be able to prove the above, then the next step is to travel to the Consulate or American Embassy with jurisdiction where the intended traveler lives permanently. It should be noted that while it is possible to apply for a visa at any United States Consular office abroad, doing so might be more difficult than simply applying in the individual’s country of residence. There is an application fee that must be paid, and that fee is nonrefundable. Additionally, if there is any reciprocity fee applicable, then the applicant shall be responsible for those as well.

There are a number of documents that must be submitted in order to apply for a B1 or B2 visa. These include the following:

Finally, remember that you must have documentation showing the purpose and length of the trip as well as the arrangements you have made to pay for the trip. These documents will vary depending upon your circumstances, and it is therefore not possible to list exact documents. You might consider letters from either a company in the United States or letters from family and friends, depending upon which visa you are applying for, in order to help show that you have a reason for the trip as well as a reason to return. Individuals traveling to the United States in order to receive medical treatment should provide a doctor’s statement about the proposed treatment.

Need a Tourist Visa/B-1 Visa Laywer? Contact Us Today For Help!

The visa application process can be a confusing one. Gilliam Law can help you fill out your application and get the ball rolling! You don’t want to be turned away for a simple mistake. We can help ensure that doesn’t happen.

latest Articles

Skip to content