Chicago Temporary Business and Tourism Visa Lawyer

Helping Clients Gain Legal Entry into America

When watching news about the Department of Homeland Security, deportations, and other immigrant issues in America, it’s easy to think that visiting the country would be a hassle. However, it’s important to remember that there are major differences between those with immigrant and nonimmigrant status in the United States. If you’re planning on a temporary visit, a Chicago temporary business and tourism visa lawyer may be able to help.

At Gilliam Law, our legal team provides immigration services of all kinds. We help people who desperately need to establish permanent residence in the country and represent individuals in danger of being deported. However, we also have extensive experience in helping clients secure visitor visas. If you need to enter America for business purposes — or just to enjoy a fun vacation — contact our law firm today for help with the visa application process.

Do You Need a Visitor Visa Lawyer?

People frequently visit America for business or pleasure with no intent of staying long. The country’s citizenship and immigration services are frequently derided in the media, but this is typically in relation to deportations, long-term immigrants, and other immigrant issues. For those hoping to visit the United States on a temporary basis for business or tourism, obtaining a visitor visa is much simpler. However, is it simple enough to make hiring an attorney unnecessary?

To be clear, no one is required to seek legal counsel in America. Many people have entered the U.S. from a foreign country after undertaking the visa application process on their own. However, doing so does come with risks. For instance, many potential visitors face delays when they don’t have all the required documentation or misunderstand eligibility requirements.

Those who don’t have guidance when preparing for their visa interview also encounter denials when they are unable to adequately answer consular officer questions. Even worse, people sometimes learn the hard way that they have issues of inadmissibility. While this doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t visit America, they can benefit from working with a Chicago temporary business and tourism attorney who may be able to help them address these issues.

What's the Difference Between a Tourist and Business Visa?

Assuming you meet the eligibility requirements for coming to America, you still need to understand the difference in visitor visas. This will ensure you submit the appropriate application. Whether you’re coming to America for business or pleasure, you’ll be requesting a nonimmigrant visa. The issuance of either of these visas allows for multiple entries into the country. Still, it’s important to recognize the eligible activities that fall under each of these traveling documents.

Eligible Activities for a B-1 Visa

A B-1 visa is for temporary business visitors. The following list is not exhaustive, but it includes some of the most common reasons this visa is issued:

  • Consulting with business partners and associates
  • Settling an estate
  • Negotiating contracts
  • Traveling for educational, professional, scientific, and other conferences
  • Taking part in short-term training

Eligible Activities for a B-2 Visa

While the B-2 visa is frequently referred to as a tourism visa, eligible activities actually extend far beyond traditional tourism. Examples of this visa’s use include:

  • Tourist activities
  • Visiting family and friends
  • Medical treatment
  • Recreational courses of study
  • Unpaid participation by amateurs in sporting, musical, and similar events

Enjoying Work and Play

In many instances, visitors will receive a B1/B2 visa together. This is typical for individuals who plan on handling business matters but will also enjoy other activities while in America. Do you plan on visiting an amusement park with friends after an important business meeting? A B1/B2 visa is likely right for you, and our Chicago temporary business and tourism visa lawyer can assist.

Are You Eligible for a Visa Waiver?

When helping our clients gain travel authorization to America, we always suggest going the easiest route. While securing a business or tourism visa status is necessary in many instances, it’s also the case that many people are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). This allows a foreign citizen to visit America for less than 90 days without first seeking a visa. There are dozens of country participants in this program. Citizens from the following nations most often take advantage of the VWP:

  • Germany
  • France
  • Australia
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • United Kingdom
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Hungary
  • Norway
  • Taiwan

Just because you don’t see your country listed does not mean you’re ineligible for a visa waiver. Almost 50 countries are participating in the VWP. A Chicago temporary business and tourism visa attorney can help you understand if you might be eligible. However, keep in mind that certain nations may have additional restrictions. And if you plan on staying longer than 90 days, this program is not right for you.

Let our immigration law firm help you identify the best option for visiting America

Contact a Chicago Temporary Business and Tourism Visa Lawyer Today

Even with a passport valid in your country of origin, requesting permission to enter America is still necessary. This can sometimes be a difficult and drawn-out process. Fortunately, this typically isn’t the case for those who merely want to visit for business or tourism purposes. A visitor visa applicant doesn’t have to deal with many of the complicated procedures required of long-term visitors or prospective permanent residents. However, this doesn’t mean you can just arrive at a port of entry and enter.

At Gilliam Law, we have extensive experience helping visitors go through the necessary steps for entering America. Whether you have business matters to attend to, are seeking medical treatment, or simply want to enjoy American nightlife before returning home — our legal professionals can guide you through the process. Even better, it’s sometimes the case that we can help a foreign national enter the country without going through a visa interview or other complicated tasks.

Contact us today at (866) 511-3422 to speak with our Chicago temporary business and tourism visa lawyer. We’ll review all your options and help you decide the best path forward.

latest Articles

Skip to content