Chicago Re-Entry Permit Lawyer

Assisting Individuals With Re-Entry Back Into the United States

Individuals who have obtained permanent resident status may think that they can enter and leave the U.S. as any other citizen is allowed to do. However, often, this is not the case, depending on the circumstances that took them outside of the U.S.

The U.S. government has strict rules that can lead to even those who have satisfied permanent residency requirements still being denied re-entry into the country. When this occurs, the lawful permanent resident may be required to petition for a re-entry permit to be allowed to come back to the United States.

If you or a family member have been denied re-entry into the U.S., you must hire an experienced lawyer to assist you with USCIS immigration services. Failure to hire a lawyer can result in unnecessary delays that prevent you from resuming your life.

Contact Gilliam Law and ask to schedule a Case Consult to discuss your case and learn what legal options may be available.

Why Would a Green Card Holder Be Denied Re-Entry Into the U.S.?

Several scenarios could occur that would lead to a green card holder, also called a permanent resident, being denied re-entry into the U.S. These possible situations include:

However, if you plan on being out of the country for an extended period, applying for a re-entry permit is best. Additionally, individuals should be advised that a former re-entry permit is not eligible for renewal.

If you need more clarification regarding what would facilitate you needing a permit to re-enter the country, contact Gilliam Law to schedule a meeting with our knowledgeable attorney, who can answer your immigration law questions.

Our immigration lawyer can provide you with the information you need to make informed choices if you must leave the U.S. for an extended period of time.

What Are the Benefits of a Re-Entry Permit?

When an applicant obtains a re-entry permit, it demonstrates that they do not intend to abandon their legal resident status. If granted, the permit also allows individuals to apply for admission to the U.S. after leaving the country for up to 2 years without needing a returning resident visa.

Another significant advantage of a re-entry permit is that it can replace a passport from the individual’s home country. In many cases, countries that accept the re-entry permit will stamp it like a passport. However, individuals traveling to foreign destinations should always confirm ahead of time that the permit is an acceptable travel document.

Anyone who wishes to obtain a re-entry permit must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Additionally, an applicant must pay a biometric and re-entry permit fee. Individuals who plan to travel abroad should be advised that they need to apply for a re-entry permit well ahead of time to ensure they can obtain a biometrics appointment before their departure date.

The average re-entry permit processing time takes anywhere from two to five months to complete. Therefore, it is best to speak with an immigration attorney who can assist you with citizenship and immigration services.

Why Should I Hire an Immigration Lawyer to Help Me Obtain a Re-Entry Permit?

Hiring an immigration lawyer can help ease your mind about returning to the United States after being gone for a significant amount of time. Although individuals can apply for a re-entry permit independently, it is in your best interests to hire an immigration lawyer to assist you. Immigration law is complicated, and the paperwork that must be completed can often be confusing.

If the paperwork is filled out incorrectly or is incomplete, it may cause you to experience unnecessary delays. An immigration lawyer can assist you with the paperwork and ensure it is turned in promptly.

Furthermore, depending on your personal situation and why you must leave the country for an extended period, an attorney can handle any complex situations and ensure you remain compliant with immigration laws.

Obtaining a re-entry permit takes a great deal of time and should never be put off until the last minute. If you are concerned about your ability to re-enter the country, contact Gilliam Law in Chicago immediately.

Can I Trust Your Immigration Attorney to Help Me With My Legal Needs?

At Gilliam Law, our legal team recognizes that not all immigration cases are the same. As a result, our law firm dedicates itself to creating custom-tailored strategies to meet our client’s needs.

When you trust us to help with your immigration needs, we will provide you with the legal advice you need to make well-informed decisions. We understand that often there may be a need for individuals to leave the country for an extended period of time to help elderly parents or family members who still live in their home country or to conduct business abroad.

Regardless of your legal needs, our highly trained immigration lawyer can help you feel confident that you will be able to re-enter the country without any legal issues. We are happy to help clients through every step of the re-entry permit application process to help them save time and money. Additionally, we are always available to answer any questions or address your concerns.

Gilliam Law has extensive experience helping permanent residents obtain re-entry permits and ensuring they are able to return home when their business is finished outside of the country.

If you want more information on immigration legal services Gilliam Law can provide, contact our Chicago, Illinois law offices at 866-511-3422 and ask to schedule a free case evaluation to discuss your needs.

latest Articles

Skip to content