Chicago I-R1 Visa Attorney

Chicago I-R2 Visa Attorney

Moving Families Foreward in Chicago

Suppose you and your spouse have a minor child born abroad, and you long to bring your family to the United States. In that case, you need the assistance of a compassionate and knowledgeable legal team to guide you through the complexity of the United States immigration process. Moving your family to a new country is a big decision, and you want to be sure that every part of the process goes as smoothly as possible so you and your family can focus on the vital work of building your new life and not be burdened by unnecessary stress. 

That’s where we can help. At Gilliam Law, we treat our clients like family and want you to feel like your needs are a priority. Call us today for a Case Consult at 866-511-3422.

What is an I-R2 Visa?

An I-R2 visa is also known as an immediate relative visa. It is for minors (under age 21) and unmarried children of US citizens. There are specific procedures and requirements for the application process for an I-R2 visa. You should be aware when applying that while the process can be completed online, you must seek the guidance of competent and compassionate legal professionals to assess your case before filing your application. Visa applications are costly investments, and the fees are non-refundable if denied. You want to be sure that every base is covered the first time. At Gilliam Law, our team will be on your side from day one. We’re available to answer all your questions and concerns.

What is the Process for Applying?

The process of applying for an immigrant visa can be frustrating. It involves a lot of waiting after the initial forms are filed. This can often be the most challenging part for families. It is hard to be patient when your life is on hold. At Gilliam Law, we understand the stress this process places on you and strive to make it as simple as possible. 

While every family is unique, some steps stay the same for every type of immigrant visa. These are the mandatory steps for every application:

The final requirement for all immigrants wishing to obtain a visa is to attend an interview. Since I-R2 applicants are minor children, they may be accompanied by an adult caretaker. Contrary to what the media would have people believe, the point of these interviews is not to trick people. They will not be cruel to your child. They will ask questions about who the child is, why they are traveling to the United States, and their relationship with you.

Once the child’s visa is approved, they can travel freely to the United States. The visa will be stamped on their passport, and the embassy will give them a package the child must bring, unopened, when they first enter the country. Only the US immigrant officials at the point of entry should open this package. Our lawyers can help you with questions during any part of this journey.

What Are the Fees?

Applying for a visa can be costly, so you must ensure you have everything you need and budget appropriately. The current fees are:

Form I-130 $535

Form D-260 $325

Fees for medical exams and vaccines: Varies

USCIS immigrant fee that must be paid after approval for processing and documents: $220 

All fees listed are current when writing but subject to change as USCIS updates its policies.

Will Calling an Immigration Attorney Help?

Being separated from your child brings stress and pressure that no parent should ever face. Waiting is most often the most challenging part of the immigration process. At Gilliam Law, we understand the stress this places on your family, and we aim to take some of that pressure off your shoulders. We’re here for you every step of the way. Call us today for a Case Consult. 866-511-3422

latest Articles

Skip to content